ILDS has developed the positions of Special and External Advisors as a mechanism for individuals that are external to the ILDS Board to contribute in a defined way to specific ILDS and IFD activities.
The responsibilities of Special and External Advisors vary and are confirmed on an individual basis between the individual and the ILDS or IFD. Special and External Advisors are invited to share their expertise and skills for the benefit of the ILDS and IFD.
Generally, the responsibilities of Special and External Advisors will be one or more of the following:
- To provide technical input or advice into a specific area of ILDS/IFD’s work.
- To lead a particular project or activity.
Special Advisors differ from External Advisors in that they are expected to have multiple responsibilities across a range of topics or areas. Special Advisors will usually be former Board Members who are able to advise and represent ILDS at the highest level.
The ILDS Board of Directors approves the appointment of Special and External Advisors. The ILDS or IFD then signs an agreement with the Special or External Advisor which outlines their specific role and the general terms and conditions. The ILDS secretariat maintains a list of the Special and External Advisors.
Generally, the term of Special and External Advisors will be in line with the ILDS’ four year governance cycle and so the Special and External Advisors will step down at the end of the cycle. However, the appointment will be reviewed on an annual basis and may be finished earlier if necessary (for example if the project is complete). The ILDS Board can choose to confirm a Special or External Advisor for a second term. Usually, Special and External Advisors will be expected not to serve for more than eight years (two full terms).
- Christopher Griffiths Special Advisor to the ILDS on Global Health Research and Policy
- Rod Hay Special Advisor to the ILDS on Humanitarian Dermatology
- Matthias Augustin External Advisor – Noncommunicable Diseases (NCDs)
- Ulrike Blume-Peytavi External Advisor – Ageing and Life Course
- Robert Chalmers External Advisor – International Classification of Diseases 11 (ICD-11)
- Olivier Chosidow External Advisor – Essential Medicines
- Esther Freeman External Advisor – COVID-19 Registry and GLODERM
- Jan Kottner External Advisor – Ageing and Life Course
- Swen Malte John External Advisor – Occupational Health
- Luigi Naldi External Advisor – Essential Medicines
- Valeska Padovese External Advisor – IFD Migrant Health Working Group
- Jonathan White External Advisor – International Classification of Diseases 11 (ICD-11)