11th Annual Neglected Tropical Disease NGO (NNN) Conference Report
14 September 2020
On 8-10 September 2020, the IFD was proud to support the 2020 NNN Online Conference: “Accelerating to 2030: Building Resilient NTD Programmes in a Changing World”.
The Conference’s purpose was two-fold:
- Celebrate the achievements made during the last decade to address and eliminate Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs)
- Plan for the next phase to deliver the targets by 2030 on the new NTD Roadmap in a changing world
Sessions over the three days included:
- Collective action in the face of COVID-19 – an exploration of the response to and impact of COVID-19 on the NTD elimination agenda
- Applying gender equality and inclusion in NTD interventions to achieve equitable health services
- Practical Approaches to Addressing Mental Wellbeing and Stigma
- Enhancing national NTD programmes – approaches to empowering local teams
- Participation, inclusion and human rights of people affected by NTDs
- People are neglected, not diseases
- Be aware of the impact of power dynamics and relations on services and care
- Build resilience from the ground up and empower frontline healthcare workers as well as those affected by NTDs
- Undertake concerted efforts to overcome discriminatory behaviour towards those who are affected in order to beat NTDs
- Ensure that projects and services are patient-centred, holistic and accessible. Also, sustainable and integrated into national health services
- Consider gender differences to make sure health services are more equitable and to eliminate NTDs
- Actively engage stakeholders within and outside the NNN to achieve collective goals and build resilient and sustainable health systems
The critical discussions at the NNN Conference were not only informative but reaffirming, as they illustrate the importance of utilising a holistic and cross-cutting approach, to which the IFD is deeply committed. Moreover, we look forward to working with our partners to help progress the WHO 2030 NTD Roadmap and beat NTDs.
The International Foundation for Dermatology (IFD) is a member of the Neglected Tropical Disease NGO Network (NNN). IFD Chair, Dr Claire Fuller, is also the Chair of the NNN Skin Cross Cutting Group (NNNSCCG). The IFD provides operational support to the NNNSCCG.